Welcome to Indigent Aid
1. a person who is lacking food, clothing, and other necessities of life because of poverty; needy; poor; impoverished.
We are a San Diego, California-based non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating poverty, hunger, and homelessness in San Diego County.
Did you know that 8,500 individuals are homeless in San Diego? Such a number represents the population of a small city! A simple drive through downtown San Diego is heart-wrenching as people with lack of basic necessities fight every day for their own survival and often for their family's survival as well.
In a 2010 survey, the following statistics were found about San Diego's homeless population:
- Nearly two thirds (64.8%) are between the ages of 40 and 60.
- Almost one in four (22.9%) have military experience.
- More than one in four (26.7%) have a mental illness.
- Almost half (46.6%) struggle with alcohol or drug abuse (present or past).
- About 4 in 10 persons have accessed the emergency room in the past year.
- One out of four homeless females has been sexually assaulted.
- Nearly 1 in 4 (24.3%) is considered to be 'chronically homeless.'
These individuals need our help! Indigent Aid is San Diego's leading non-profit organization to effect change for these individuals. Will you donate your time, financial resources, or other means to support this immediate cause?
San Diego needs you. Indigent Aid needs you. Together, we can make a difference for those who need us most right here in San Diego County.